Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Empowering priorities


They say, “Exception proves the rule.”

Heisenberg stated that certainty in position and momentum of a particle cannot prevail simultaneously. My dad is one of those few exceptions who defy this law of uncertainty.

I have always known my dad to be an ‘ideal dad’, doing every special thing for his darling li’l daughter. And it is difficult for a person who sees dad in this role to visualize him as a dedicated workman. My dad works in a power plant. He is no doubt, a workaholic; and on my visit to his office premises, I have derived that he his quite important and sought after, not just in office, but in entire township. Or perhaps a greater are than that. And in spite of all the airs, dad stands firm on his grounds.

Coal is extracted from the mines and burnt in furnaces to produce thermal energy, which is used to produce electricity. This is what happens in every power plant. The general processes of operation, commissioning, managing and directing are all the same. Dad has to do the same thing in every power plant; so changing from one company to other in the power sector is no big deal! Or so I thought, till I read between the lines of my dad’s mind. Had I been a senior official in a company where I’ve worked for 25 years, owning a huge office and humongous respect of thousands of people, it would have been equally difficult for me to let my hedonism give way to evanescence. That is human instinct- to be scared of an uncertainty, even if it might be one step closer to the zenith.

“The heart does things for reasons that reason doesn’t understand.”

Dad lover his job and his colleagues; and changing job may initially not give dad a better life. I mean, if you have cranberries, all you can do is make them less sour, you can’t altogether transform them into sugar. Incidentally, I am the paradox to which this situation happens to be the only solution. Dad might be joining a new company, but I am the power plant he is worried about. No down, I’ve always been provided with the anthracite, but now I need an efficient resource manager for sustainable development. My dad is the most efficient person. That’s the reason why every power plant needs dad.

Everything in life changes, but change is a constant. We get used to the changes. Dad makes his own rules. He has the momentum; he will soon determine his position.

2 comments:

  1. Almost every dad (or Mom) loves his (or her) "power plants" so much that (s)he doesn't think twice before sacrificing anything for the power plants. Actually, sacrifice might not be the right word. They live for the power plants, live through the power plants. When its happy, they are happy. When its sad, they are sad.

    Its amazing how a human being leads three different lives in a lifetime: one is personal, other through kids and next through grandkids.

    Well, the 'power plant' will become self sufficient one day and later one day will even take care of other 'power plants'. Then the Manager will have a chance to go for the sugar,if he wants. I am sure it won't be too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused. I don't know what is better, my piece or your comment!!!!

    ReplyDelete